Sunday, January 30, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 186 (686)

I'm not sure why I had not considered this before, but covid and mandates have become issues in many divorce and/or custody cases. For example, if an ex-spouse is unvaccinated, can the vaccinated ex-spouse deny the unvaccinated one visitation? How about shared custody and the vaccination of the children? What if one parent wants the children vaccinated and one doesn't? In some cases, these issues have actually gotten couples talking more, and are a good thing. In other cases, it may be up to a court.

States that got hit by Omicron in late December are starting to see the number of new infections decline, though the declining numbers may still be taxing the system. Hospitalizations may be peaking, though deaths, which lag behind infections even more than hospitalizations, are still rising. Some experts think that the Omicron wave could crest in late February, though most believe other variants are coming given how little of the world is vaccinated. An epidemiologist at UCLA offers the advice, "This is a choose-your-own-adventure story, and the ending is not written yet. Nobody is going to be able to tell us what will happen."

Here in the US, adult vaccinations have basically plateaued. People not yet vaccinated are probably not going to get vaccinated. Also of concern, relatively few children ages five through 11 have been vaccinated. Nationally, 18.8 percent of these children are fully vaccinated; 28.1 percent have gotten one dose of vaccine. Vaccination rate varies wildly between states, though. In Vermont, 52 percent of children ages five through 11 are fully vaccinated; in Mississippi, only six percent are. 

Not a lot today, but after a late night playing Cards Against Humanity with friends (it was worth the risk), I'm moving a bit more slowly than usual today. Having gotten somewhat comfortable with my Instant Pot, I am introducing myself to our convection oven. I made a meat loaf several nights ago, and tonight have a pork loin roast going. It's smelling pretty tasty, so I think I'll go handle the side dishes. 

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I would replace my Instant Pot instantly because there are not many days where it isn't used for something. I've only used the steamer function once and I prefer to saute in a frying pan so it's mostly slow cooking or pressure cooking.

I can guarentee that our vaccination rates for the under 12s are lower than those in the US. Our national vaccination programme is for the over 12s, I think they are jabbing the over 5s who are at higher risk.