Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 367 (867)

Not long after I posted yesterday's no-news good news, I saw the not-so-good news that POTUS has a case of Paxlovid rebound. Last I saw, they were saying he has no symptoms. Dr. Fauci's symptoms were worse with his rebound case. This does make me wonder if, should covid find me, would I seek out Paxlovid. A lot of people are having rebound infections, though the percentage of Paxlovid takers who do is hard to pin down. 

The director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota observes, "We've had a shift in our baseline ... Earlier in the pandemic, we never would have accepted these numbers." Those numbers would be that hospitalizations have doubled since May and that there are currently over 400 deaths each day. The good news is that both those numbers are significantly lower than they were at the peak of winter's Omicron wave. Still, the numbers we seem to accept have definietly shifted.

The New York Times had a list of "five steps to take (if you haven't already)." I'm good on all of them; how about you?

(1) Max out your vaccines and boosters. 
(2) Find out your community Covid-19 indicators. 
(3) Mask up, and not just outdoors.
(4) Keep rapid tests on hand--and use them.
(5) If you're traveling, find out how to get treatment.

On the traveling one, I just don't. This weekend I'm taking The Professor to Son #2's cabin, about 75 minutes away. We've gone there for a whole week the last two summers, but can only manage a weekend this year. That's close enough to home that I'm not really worried about number (5). I'll be pulling together what news I can and posting anything I find when I get home. We have been told that there is now an intermittent Internet connection there, but I don't want to count on it. 

No comments: