Friday, July 1, 2022

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 337 (837) Birthday Edition III

The poem I'm working on for my 66th birthday won't, I think, be as good as the one I wrote for my 65th.  I have too many other things on my mind right now. If it gets to a point that doesn't embarrass me, I may post it, but it won't be today or, probably, any day of the four-day weekend--Canada Day on Friday and US Independence Day on Monday. One summer in which the days fell the same way we spent the long weekend in Stewart, British Columbia which sits right next door to Hyder, the easternmost town in Alaska. Back then, you could just slow down at the border crossing, give a wave, and go on. Those were the good old days. Stewart is where we witnessed something I've never seen done anywhere else, a hospital bed race. One team member rode on the bed and the other three or four pushed the bed down the street. Needless to say, there were also costumes. 

As for the six-months-old resolutions, I'm not totally bombing. I wanted to finish the list of 50 things I started working on in my 50th year, the one leading up to my 50th birthday. I'm getting there more slowly than I had hoped but it's still doable. The Professor has agreed to accompany me on visits to two local historical sites, Monticello and Montpelier. I have written four of the seven poems I needed to finish. I have yet to sketch anything, so I still have nine to do there. I gave away my box of children's books written in Spanish, so I can't take the easy route on reading something written in Spanish. I did find the Spanish shelf on one of the bookcases, and need to see what's there. I did have The Gulag Archipelago in Spanish, but I don't think that's doable. 

I have practiced doing quilt binding on Xena the Warrior Bernina. I haven't decided if I'll try it on the quilt I'm quilting right now. It may take a little while to get back to that quilt. The Professor was complaining not for the first time about all the stuff in our garage. One item was a dresser that originally was our changing table. It moved with My Mom to the condo to which she moved, and when she moved on from there it came back to us ... to the garage. I did not realize that it was not going to fit where I wanted to put it in my studio/sewing room and to put it the only other place it would fit meant a massive reorganization of various things including my dolls. I have more dolls than I thought I did. I also found a couple of decades-old projects that shouldn't take too long to finish once I'm done with the current quilt. 

I wanted to keep up with the on-demand bodyweight training program I'd been doing. Then I had my nose-breaking fall on January 6 that also bruised my knees to the point I could not kneel. Then I developed what turned out to be a recalcitrant nerve in my right knee and spent some time attending to it. I am getting back to working out now, though. I'm doing the morning dog walks in a weight vest and have added some light aerobics to the mix. 

Related to the working out, I didn't want to gain any weight. I haven't and have even lost the couple of pounds I gained over the holidays. The working out helps for sure. 

Finally, I wanted to make friends with our convection oven. While I've done some recipes from convection oven cookbooks, I'm not comfortable yet doing something I'm used to making in the regular oven in the convection one. Adjusting time and temperature is, so far, intimidating. I've got six more months, though. 

And so I begin another trip around the sun, my 67th one. It will hold surprises, some welcome and some not. It will stretch me possibly to new limits just as it nestles around to keep me safe. I hope to be back in six months to make post new resolutions and in six months after that to embark on a new orbit.  

No comments: