Friday, September 24, 2021

The Road goes ever on and on ... Day 58 (558)

Just some quickies. It's been a long, full day. It seems that 10 percent of the American population falls into a category of "unvaccinated but willing." These are people who would get vaccinated if they knew how to make a reservation or had transportation or child care that they don't currently have.

The CDC committee agreed with the FDA that people over 65 should get boosters. They did not recommend boosters for frontline workers such as health care workers, teachers, etc. However, the CDC director overrode the committee and said these groups of people should get boosters. Since boosters are supposed to be six months after one's second vaccination, my number doesn't come up until mid-October. In the meantime, I plan to get a second shingles shot and a flu shot this coming week.  

Here's one that makes sense. Regions with high vaccination rates have low hospitalization rates. In fact, in communities with low vaccination rates, hospitals have 10 times the number of covid patients that hospitals in high-vaccination communities have.

The thrill of the day was getting my car back from the shop so I'm not house-bound this weekend. I did not have a good feeling about what the diagnosis and treatment would be, but some brake replacements and adjustments, and she's good to go.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I'm "due" for a booster shot (if applicable) but it wasn't obvious to me whether folks who got Moderna would get a Pfizer booster, or wait until a Moderna booster is available. Guess I'll ask my doctor; in the meantime I'll also get my flu shot. We're due the shingles shots as well. Oh, what fun, but hey, it's better than the alternatives!

Caroline M said...

I had my flu jab a week ago and was called for the covid booster a few days before that (before we officially had a booster programme). My six months would be the end of Ociober, the doctor had no idea why the system had called me so early so we agreed it was a mistake and I'd come round again later.

My car is in this week, I'm expecting some sort of saga about how tyres are the wrong shape after Brexit.