Friday, April 16, 2021

The View from the Hermitage, Day 397

It's going to be a short post today so I don't get distracted and forget to click on the magic, orange Publish button today as I did yesterday. (Thanks, Mom!) Today, I finished scanning slides today and got them all in sleeves which went into binders with dividers inside and labels outside. I'm nit done yet, though, since I still have to copy from the scanner's memory card to my laptop, organizing everything into folders, and then backing up on a couple of hard drives. Unless a new tray pops up somewhere, that's it for the slides. 

I woke up to the news of another mass shooting, this time at a Federal Express facility in Indianapolis, Indiana. The gunman, who apparently was a former employee, killed eight people, wounded more, and shot himself as the police moved in. When will we find a way to end these shootings? 

Japan has extended its quasi-emergency measures, allowing heads of prefectures to put in pandemic restrictions. Does this make the Olympics more apt to be cancelled? Your guess is as good as mine. While part of me feels strongly that the Games should not be held, another part of me hurts for the anguish of the athletes who have trained now for five years, aiming at these Games. Some will be too old to compete in four years or want to have a family or not have the money to keep training. 

The CEO of Pfizer says it is "likely" that people getting the Pfizer vaccine will need a third shot within the next 12 months with annual boosters needed after that. Moderna is also working on a booster shot as well as studying whether the covid vaccine could be added to a flu shot for a double whammy effect. As for needing annual boosters, I'm good with that. I get a flu shot every year and can easily add a covid one.

 

2 comments:

Janet said...

Congrats on getting your slides scanned! You're storing your slides in sleeves? Like these? Good idea.

As for vaccines, I don't mind getting a booster but think I might not want a double whammy flu/Covid shot, depending on how others' reactions go, though I don't typically have very strong vaccine reactions.

cbott said...

DH wonders if the 3rd shot will still be free at that point. Regardless, at that point it'll probably be as 'routine' as the flu shot. I'd be more than happy to pay!