Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Days 135 and 136

I'm back. Give "back" the two-syllable intonation of some horror film character. Chuckie the doll-like guy? Never having been a fan of that genre, I'm not too familiar with the characters.

We drove back yesterday and felt as if we were walking into a new house. New, and empty. The echo of the door closing was impressive. Now the refurnishing begins. That's "refurnishing" as in putting the furniture back not in getting new furniture. I figure it will take at least six months. It will give me something to do to fill the time of the pandemic.

I chatted today with someone in the quilt guild, someone I actually feel comfortable with. She is of the same mind as I in terms of the pandemic. Other than shopping runs, she's not going anywhere with other people until there is a reliable vaccine and a reliable treatment. It was nice to find a kindred spirit.

The numbers in Virginia are not, at least to me, looking good. The number of new cases on Sunday was noteworthy in that it was so damn high. Normally, weekend numbers seem lower. Not this past weekend. The Biocomplexity Institute at the university updates their covid-19 model weekly. The latest update suggests that we could be looking at 2,000 new cases daily come September. Shit gonna get real.

The local school systems, city and county, will be announcing their models for the coming year tomorrow. I'm predicting they'll give parents a choice between hybrid--virtual and in-person--or virtual only. I predict that but will be hoping that they go only virtual. The gym at which I used to work out runs a summer camp/day care. They reported their first case last week--a camper not a staff person. They did not give the age of the camper, but since all the kids there are likely to be middle school age (maybe) and younger, that kid could also have been in a classroom not a camp. In fact, with there being more outdoor activities during a camp compared with indoor, closer-type activities in a classroom, there's some reason to be concerned here. But that may just be my muddled0by-life brain.

Given the muddled brain, I will stop here and go see what help the husband might need with whatever he's working on. That may well be his home office which for the coming academic year will be his office period.

No comments: