Saturday, July 11, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 118

And the number of cases in Virginia continues to creep up. Apparently, a large part of the increase has been from the coastal area around Virginia Beach. The public health people there say things will get worse starting in the middle of the coming week. That's when cases arising from exposure during the July 4 weekend will start to appear. Most of the new cases are younger people, in their 20s. The maddening thing is that a lot of them are not cooperating with the contact tracers. They refuse to say who they were with and when. And it's not as if they say that they will contact those people themselves. They also decline to provide regular updates on how their condition might change in the coming days.

The governor told me (and thousands of his other friends) on Facebook that he is monitoring the situation and is ready to impose (reimpose?) mitigation measures if needed. I do not expect that that would end well. The people who won't help with contact tracing are certainly not going to seriously self-quarantine, especially if they are asymptomatic. I console myself by thinking that they can't all be asymptomatic because otherwise why would they have gotten themselves tested?

The husband gave me a belated birthday gift that arrived in today's mail. It's a t-shirt that I shall wear tomorrow and often.


If I planned on heading to the nation's capital any time in the near future, I would definitely wear it, not that HWSNBN would see it or care. It would just help me feel a wee bit better.

Emptying the house continues. I was amazed at how much stuff could be tetrissed into younger son's room thanks to the agility and strength of older son. The family dog provided some comedy relief.


This shot was taken partway through the process. There is more in it now, and there will be more in it after tomorrow's packing party. All of the master bedroom furniture save the mattress, box springs, and bed-frame are in this room. We will slide the bed stuff into the master bathroom so we can easily remove it when we get home. I, for one, am tired of the bed in the guestroom. Note to self: Look into a new guestroom mattress.

I shall now get back to packing all sorts of things. The food from the pantry that we will not be taking with us to younger son's cabin, for one, since they the pantry floor is on the list to be refinished. I am trying not to feel overwhelmed, but I expect to get there sometime later in the week.


1 comment:

Caroline M said...

The people with the most contacts are the ones who are not likely to co-operate with contact tracers. "Yes, I went to six pubs, a restaurant, a nightclub then a rave in a warehouse" If they were the model of social responsibility then that wouldn't have been their night out in these strange times. The tracers may stand more chance with the contacts of worshippers but not party animals.

We put off replacing the carpet in the main bedroom for thirty years because it needed the removal of the wardrobes and the bed and that was too much effort. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm looking at it in a new light given your herculean efforts, I'll keep the 1980s sculpted pile monstrostity that came with the house rather than wrestle a king sized bed.