Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 121 (the sequel)

I forgot to include in my earlier post the breaking local news that the city's mayor and other bigwigs are discussing with the county's supervisors the slow rise in covid-19 numbers here. As I did note in the earlier post, at least the city folks are not viewing the potential arrival of thousands on college students in a positive light. The topic of discussion is apparently formally asking the governor if the city and county here could be moved back to Phase 2 of the reopening. That would mean lower limits on people in businesses, at gyms, at outdoor parties (the limit here would drop from Phase 3's 250 to Phase 2's 50). It would still include masks and social distancing as well as the "safer at home" suggestion that replaced the "stay at home order.

Do I think they'll actually ask the governor for dispensation? I'd like to think that they would, especially since the feeling around this house is that bringing the students back is not at all a good idea, but I wouldn't put money on it. Even if they did ask, I do not expect that the governor would actually do anything. He may not have to run for re-election in 2021, but he seems to want to be too much of a nice guy right now.

No comments: