Thursday, June 29, 2023

Halfway to 2024 Already

I should wait until Saturday to post this because then I could comment on its being six months between posts. Normally, I use my birthday post to report on how I'm doing with the resolutions I made six months ago. That's easy this year since I never made any. The Christmas cards never got mailed either. It's been a rough seven months. I'll still post whatever horoscope has a special forecast for people born on July 1.

Long COVID continues. My condition has improved somewhat from six months ago if only napping once daily rather than twice is a sign of improvement. While it is nice to be able to do something--anything--in the mornings, I have on more than one occasion done enough that I feel it the next day. Today is one of those days. I am trying to get the binding done on what is now a quilt I should have given to the intended recipient 26 years ago. Without the long COVID, it would have been finished and presented in January. Now, I hope to present it in July if I don't overdo it as I did yesterday.

Apart from the last six months, the last two have been compounded by the death of my mother in early May. I thank the deities that I saw her the day before she passed and that it was one of our better get-togethers. As I walked out the door, we were both laughing. Last year, my brother came to visit for Mother's Day; this year, that would have been too late. He went home two weeks before Mom died. I wonder if that helped her release herself from her body in this life. I remain convinced that she knew she was going to pass. At our last meeting, she asked me what I might want of the various things she had hanging on the walls. She said that one thing, something I did not want, really appealed to one of the aides, and she wanted that aide to have it. The aides told me that the day before she passed she'd been in a particularly jovial mood; the next day, they said, she had left that mood behind and asked to be helped into bed at lunchtime. On every other day, she only got into bed when it was time to sleep. I made sure that each got what she wanted.

Mom did not want a memorial service or funeral, nor did she want an obituary. I honored her wishes on the former, but did write a short obituary. I also let faraway friends know of her death. Many days in the past two months, the activity du jour has been dealing with some aspect of her estate. Her estate was larger than anticipated, and I need to go through the probate process. Advice to anyone thinking of their demise: Make your bank accounts "payable upon death" to your beneficiary(ies). If Mom had done that, there would have been no need for probate.

Because Mom's estate was larger than anticipated, we have been able to make some gifts to the kids. I'm also going to upgrade my plus-25-years-old sewing machine. Then I think I'll let things sit for a while while I regroup and try to recover as much as I might be able to. I just started reading The Long COVID Survival Guide: How to Take Care of Yourself and What Comes Next--Stories and Advice from Twenty Long-Haulers and Experts. I don't know that it will make anything better, but it will help remind me that I am not alone in this and that in comparison to many, many other people, my case is a mild one. Even so, writing this after doing some work on the quilt guild's website has left me somewhat drained and thinking of a morning nap.


2 comments:

Caroline M said...

You do what you can do and leave the rest for the next day. There are not many things that have a hard deadline and if you keep on picking away at them, things eventually get done. I haven't sent a Christmas card since the 1990s and I have no regrets about it. It was the one part of the Christmas season that I did not like and the year we hit 300 cards I quit. I told my husband that he could do it in future as the cards were all for people in his social circle.

I spent yesterday sorting out the burial of three sets of ashes and finalising the wording for mum's grave marker. I don't feel enough of a grown up for this kind of thing.

Nann said...

Nice to read your catch-up post, Jean. (I use Feedly as a blog reader.) I hope the estate gets settled without a lot of fuss.