Thursday, January 23, 2020

Inferior Interior?

I know people for whom their house is their canvas. The picture they show with their decorating stuns. A couple of those friends have listened to my lamenting about not being talented in terms of interior decorating and said that can't be the case. They've seen my quilts and other works and say I am creative and talented. My response is always that a room or even a wall in a room is too large a scale for me to handle. I'm more comfortable on a much smaller scale.

We're having the interior of our house repainted save for the room holding younger son's worldly goods from his younger days. The painter has suggested an accent wall, and I have surprised myself be being intrigued. An online search took me to a site at which I can play with colors. I have acutally used this site. I have looked at various shades and pondered what they might look like on our house's walls. I find myself thinking of colors followed by thinking about needing new drapes followed by thinking about needing a new rug. Bluish green or greenish blue are the colors to which I most gravitate when I think of our walls.

It does not help (me, anyway) that our main floor is a very open floor plan. I've seen several articles online that note an accent wall can be a very good thing in an open floor plan. However, the open floor plan makes me worry more about just how everything will fit together. Here's what I'm looking at.

The wall in question is in our dining area. Here's a photo. The current curtains are blue and the rug under the table is greens and blues.


I apologize for the bad lighting; I could not get the it right with the pocket point-and-shoot camera I was using. The wall in question is the one around the window--the part around the window plus the two walls on each side. I would like to get rid of the bookcases on the sides and a low bookcase that sits underneath the window. To show how this fits in, here's the kitchen, which is to the left looking at the first shot.


Yes, I know there is more than a possibly acceptable amount of clutter. I am actually looking forward to having  all our hardwood floors sanded and stained because that will mean totally emptying the house. My plan is to use that as a mechanism for uncluttering as much as possible.

But back to the accent wall. Here's the view in the other direction, into the living room.


And, finally,  here is the view looking into the foyer, directly across from what would be the accent wall. I look at this view and wonder if the white knee walls should also be painted the accent color. Would that help define the dining area? Why am I asking that question? Me decorate? The mere fact that I am considering such things is worrisome.


The painter has also suggested doing the open walls above the foyer in the accent color. I couldn't get all three surfaces in the same photo, and the lighting sucked, but here's a photo taken from the stairs. You can also see a bit of this area in the above photo of the foyer.



I'm blogging about this because I am open to comments and suggestions. I promise not to hold anything against you if you suggest something that I do and then don't like. I keep reminding myself that "it's just paint," but the fact that I am even considering this is somewhat worrisome. Does this mean I'm adulting?

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I was going to comment "It's just paint" but you got the memo on that one. Fron the same source I'll second that with "finished is better than perfect", it doesn't have to be perfect, as long as you like it that's all that matters.