Sunday, March 29, 2020

The View from the Hermitage, Day 14

I left the Hermitage today. Older son, the husband, and I took the family dog on a car-car ride. "Car-car" is the magic word that sends her into ecstatic dog noises. If only she or any other dog could tell me why riding in a car, even with the windows closed, is so special.

We went to the nearest park which, fortunately, is a county park. The city government has closed the parking lots of all the city parks and warned that if the parks themselves get too crowded, they will close them as well. The county has taped off shelters and playgrounds and locked all the restrooms but the parking lots are still open. There are reminders of social distancing posted on various fence posts. The dog park is limited to 10 humans, who are, of course, asked to distance themselves appropriately.

As we walked, I consciously avoided touching anything until the morning's coffee needed an outlet, and I had to use the post-a-potty. I pulled my hand up my sleeve and touched nothing with bare skin. When I got home, the sweatshirt went into the laundry, and I went into the shower. It felt odd to be almost paranoid about touching anything. Here in the Hermitage, I touch whatever I want. I still wash my hands though not as often as I would, what to call it, out in the open? The outland? The real world?

Perhaps because I read too many post-apocalyptic novels as a teenager, I find myself imagining what life might be like if social distancing and self-isolating continued, if the "new normal" became "the normal." Would all children be schooled at home even if they weren't home-schooled? What would become "hello" if not a handshake? A bow? What would be a "so good to see you" if not a hug? Waving just doesn't seem appropriate.

A local resident tweeted that he drove around town, not getting out of his car, for an hour, and was surprised at the number of people who evidently think everything is just fine. Older son says the people across the street have nightly cookouts in the front yard whenever the evening temperature permits. Does this mean that those of us who are trying to be vigilant about the advice from the scientists and doctors have to remain vigilant even longer?

How many of us know someone who has been diagnosed with covid-19? Thinking of the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, I am two degrees apart from someone so diagnosed, the cousin of one of my quilting friends. Would knowing someone who has covid-19 put the fear of God into the people who for now seem clueless? Much as I'd hate to wish affliction on someone, if that is what it takes for some people to be careful, it might actually be worth it.

From this morning's Washington Post:  "It took about a month from the first confirmed death on Feb. 29 for the United States to record its first 1,000 coronavirus-related fatalities. The number of confirmed deaths has since doubled in two days." It may not take long for the number of degrees of separation to drop dangerously low.




No comments: