Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Who Gets the Short Straw?


It seems as if overnight or every time you turn around, straws are the hot topic. We could and should be worried about plastic trash in general, but something about straws has hit a nerve. It hit mine a bit early; I've been using metal straws at home for quite a while. I would agree that eateries bring or offer us straws with too many beverages. I can drink my glass of water or iced tea lips to glass thank you very much. There are beverages, though, that call out for a straw. Milkshakes. Smoothies. Thick cold substance hovering between a solid and a liquid.

One of my birthday gifts last weekend was a set of metal straws of a smaller circumference than the metal ones I already had. Some of these are even bent to mimic bendable straws. They fit into a velvet bag and fit just right in the bottom of my purse. I've used them at a couple of places around town. I don't drink Starbucks coffee often--the coffee tastes somewhat burnt--but I stopped in today for an iced coffee post-swim and pre-quilt guild meeting. I noticed that they had for sale a re-usable plastic glass. I thought that the least I could do was get one. I may never use it at a Starbucks to get the 10 cent discount offered, but I'll use it at home if nowhere else. The barista asked if I wanted a straw. I took great pleasure in whipping out one of my metal straws and noting, "No thanks. I brought my own."



No comments: